Case Study: Combining Technical Training with Data Analytics at a Leading Securities Exchange
Data analytic tools, such as Python and SQL, are becoming increasingly sought after in the financial industry. But how quickly can firms skill up their employees?
A leading financial institution was looking to combine technical training with in-depth data analytics, ranging from advanced Excel and VBA to SQL. They approached us to design a program that would show graduates how and why data science is applicable to the finance industry in less than a week.
- We assumed no prior programming experience to ensure that the course was accessible for everyone who attended.
- Participants initially learned about financial products and their pricing, including regulatory considerations, follow by in-depth data analysis tools.
- We tailored the course by incorporating project work and daily senior manager presentations.
- Participants evaluated data attainment from new/alternate sources in the context of an acquisition by the financial institution, working closely with the data science team to establish a feasible solution.
- Everyone was placed in groups of 2-3 people and assigned a project. As the group was composed of business and technology participants, we provided 2 business-based projects and 1 data/technology program.
- On the final day of the training program FE, along with the client, assessed the live, virtual delivery of the final projects. It was a great culmination to the training program and provided the participants with feedback on their outputs as well as giving the business an assessment of their skills.
The program has proved such a success that it has been running over the past two years, delivered to both interns and graduates.